Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Me and my Brain

Today I went to the coffee shop.  My usual seat was taken.  As were my two backup seats.  So I had to sit in my 4th choice (which on the bright side is far better than my 5th choice).  Whenever this happens I get all up in my head and can't stop thinking about how perfect everything would just be if I could sit in my usual spot.  Then I stop and think about how this is a metaphor for life and to just be ok with where I am and see if I can find anything special about seeing things from (literally) a new perspective. This would be fine if I could just learn the lesson once and be good every time thereafter.  But this happens every time and it makes me annoyed with my brain.  My inside conversation with myself goes something like this:

Me: Oh man, looks like my top three seats are taken, well at least I can still sit in my 4th choice!  If I had to sit in my fifth choice I would be soooooooo annoyed.

Brain: ALL I WANT IS TO SIT IN MY 1ST CHOICE SEAT.  I WANT TO SIT THERE I DON'T LIKE IT HERE I WANT TO SIT THERE.


Me: That father playing with his newborn and singing to him is really sweet.

Brain: THIS IS THE WORST THIS IS THE WORST THIS IS THE WORST


Me: Hmmm... I kinda wish I had got a cookie with my latte today.... The cookies here are insane.... I wonder what makes them so good.  Oh look, that girl is reading The Artists Way.  I wonder if I should go talk to her on my way out.

Brain: MY.  LIFE.  SUCKS.  WHEN WILL IT BE TOMORROW SO EVERYTHING CAN BE ALRIGHT AGAIN


So as I was saying. this is totally annoying.  Seriously brain, get over it.  Anyways I have faith that my brain will chill out eventually.  Until then, just one day at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment