Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Profiler


If you knew me in college or you've been following my blog you may have noticed a nasty habit I have been indulging in; drawing profiles.  To me it is one of the most fun views to draw just because I really like contours.  However I guess I can answer my own question posed earlier that too much of a good thing is bad.  Its awful to get caught up in a habit because it can become very comfortable.  When I started cafe sketching this time around I was drawing people who were walking very quickly past me.  So what would start out at best as a front 3/4 view quickly turned to profile and then back 3/4.  With the information I could gather from the quickly turning rotation a profile seemed to be the view I could best collaborate the information I had into one drawing.  Well I think I have become proficient at this.  Therefore it is time to move on.  As much as it is hard for me to move on from something I know I am successful at to something that I am trying to improve on I know it must be done.  Now that I feel I have re-established a strong connection between my brain and my hand I know I can push myself further.  So I am going to really work at picking up information quicker so I can achieve mostly front 3/4 drawings.  In a way I feel like I'm starting from the beginning again and really that is what I am doing.  But I really couldn't have it any other way.  One way to be sure at failing something is to be comfortable and not look for new ways to perceive things.  I know if I continue on with my profile ways I will get bored of cafe sketching and probably quit.  This is the last thing I want to do.  Although the sketches today definitely have less information in them then usual I can look forward to looking back on these in a week or so and see how far I have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment